Ingredients (makes 12):
1 smallish carrot
2 large apples
75g dried cranberries
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon and one desert spoon of agave syrup (maybe a little more depending on your sweet tooth)
50-80g cashew nuts
50g pumpkin seeds
1 pre-rolled pastry sheet (unless you are less lazy than me and make your own)
Equipment: Food processor*, cupcake tray
*you could grate the carrot & apple, and buy crushed nuts if you don’t have a processor
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Using a food processor or grater blitz the carrot & apples.
- Add the carrots & apples to a saucepan with a little water, the nutmeg & the cinnamon. Cook until softened (about 5 minutes mid heat)
- Add the cranberries & agave to the apple & carrot mix and stir
- Unroll the pastry. Using a round cutter or top of a large glass make round pastry circles and place them into the cupcake tray
- Spoon carrot & apple mix into the pastry cases
- Put the tray in the oven and cook for 10 minutes
- While cooking blitz 50-80g of cashews (depending on how nuts you want to go) & then mix with 50g pumpkin seeds. Add a desert spoon of agave syrup to sweeten.
- Take the tray out of the oven, add the cashew & pumpkin crust, cook for a further 5 minutes (be careful the topping can burn! If the pastry doesn’t look at all cooked at this point you may want to cook them another few minutes before adding the crumb).
- Let cool a bit before enjoying (perhaps with a herbal tea 😊 )