I was talking to a neighbour about the ‘classics’ and comfort food the other day. This is funny for me, I ate meat most of my life and so a lot of the food I feel nostalgic about now has really lost it’s appeal to me. So this is a ‘new classic’ for me 🙂 Warming and healthy and best served with peas 🙂 <3
1 white onion
1/4 spring cabbage
150g green lentils
1 tin cannellini beans
1 tin chopped tomatoes
5 medium potatoes (I can’t be bothered to peel them but if you prefer do)
2 teaspoons of chilli flakes (fresh chilli would be just as good if not better!)
2 teaspoons of cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
3 teaspoons medium curry powder
2 teaspoons mixed herbs
Splash of milk or vegan alternative
Knob of butter or vegan alternative
Handful of grated cheddar or vegan alternative
Salt & Pepper
- Chop potatoes and boil in a pan until soft.
- In a separate pan boil green lentils for 25-30 minutes or as instructed on the packet to ensure they are soft.
- While potatoes are boiling finely chop onion, carrots and cabbage. Add to a pan with a little oil and fry. Add herbs, spices and chilli flakes. Add water as necessary to stop from sticking to the pan and cook until softened. Add as much salt & pepper as suits your taste.
- When onions and carrots have started to soften (carrots will still have a bit of crunch!) add the tins of chopped tomatoes and beans. Stir well and cook for a further few minutes (until carrots have just a tiny bit of crunch).
- Mix lentils into the vegetable mixture.
- Scoop the lentil and veg mix into a large lasagne dish.
- Drain and mash the potatoes. Add milk and butter.
- Smooth the mashed potato over the vegetable mixture.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Enjoy… maybe with peas