I don’t normally like rice that much, it’s always been one of those things I just can’t cook right and it goes gloopy… but this I love it’s really crunchy, fresh & zesty with lime. Also, although the rice took 45 mins to cook, the actual work is SO minimal.
125g Wild Rice
1/2 pointed red pepper
1 red onion (homegrown if available)
1/2 apple (from the neighbour’s garden if in season!)
1/2 tin of unsweetened sweetcorn
1/2 tin of black eyed beans
1/2 garlic clove
50g pumpkin seeds
A handful of mint
A teaspoon of White Wine Vinegar
Salt & pepper
- Simmer the rice for 30-40 minutes.
- Finely chop the red onion and dice the red pepper and the apple.
- Drain the sweetcorn and black-eyed beans and mix them in with red onion, apple and pepper.
- Squeeze the limes over the veg mix.
- Chop & add the chilli
- Crush the garlic and add to the mixture
- Finely chop and mix through the mint.
- Mix in the pumpkin seeds.
- Add the white wine vinegar.
- When the rice is cooked and drained, allow it to cool and add it to the veg.
- Season to taste with salt & paper.
- Maybe enjoy with a spicy homemade guacamole… because delicious & still vegan.